Having grown up in Trinidad in the 90’s, I came to know two things about Sweden
I thought that all Swedes rocked out hard to Dancing Queen. In fact, I pictured Socialists dancing the night away in glorious free hospitals all revelling in how wonderful their lives are, while smoking Gauloises and drinking Sav (which btw – tastes like utter “kaka” initially, but could possibly grow on you).
Anyway, here’s 10 bullet thoughts on Stockholm
- This is a city of attractive people – straight up! There are some fantastically good looking women and men here – just roaming around, it is tough not to stare at some of these people.
- I’ve never been to a place with more men with black rectangular glasses and women wearing leggings/skinny jeans with converse shoes
- I don’t think that Stockholm has any fat people … ok wait, I did see a couple of overweight people, but that would also be like playing “find the Indian” in Scandinavia (it’s possible but not worth the effort :P)
- Swedes also don’t talk to you first … EVER!
- Socially retarded – you pick your phrase here.
- You kill someone, maximum life sentence is 12 years … WAAATT???
- You cannot fire anyone
- Alcohol is controlled by a monopoly and you’re ass raped every time you buy a drink in a bar.
- Success is not socially acceptable. I learned the word “Lagom” – Swedes use this word to describe “just right” or “enough”. You’re allowed one potato only … and never two 😛
- People in Stockholm will barge into you – I kinda like that, since I can just walk right through people also.
- How could I forget … this city is FUCKING EXPENSIVE. Not like regular expensive, but like “fuck me down with a pogo stick expensive” … drinking in Sweden can bankrupt you … for instance at a bar, expect prices like
- Regular beer = 8$ Can
- Vodka/Tonic = 13$ Can
- Bottle of Coke = 6$ Can