If you’re looking for a quick way to spend 12 hours in Prince Edward Island, here are my suggestions:
- If you’re lucky enough to be here in August on the right day, then Saucer Parade for an hour. (9:30am – 10:30am)
- Drive the central coast, on your way to dig for clams (10:30am – Noon)
- Meet up Ron Perry and go digging for clams and then have clam lunch in a CN Train Caboose (Noon – 3:30pm)
- Head over to JMK Fish Market for Sweet Chilli Heat and Mango Curry Mussel with some fresh Malpeque oysters (3:30pm – 4:30pm)
- Do the scenic North Cape Coastal drive … and grab a picture of the lighthouse. (4:30pm – 9pm)
- Stop off at Scooters for an Ice Cream
- Order a Super Donair at Jack’s Pizza (10pm)
As for my list above, Digging for Clams is easily one of the best things to do on the island … and I haven’t done a lot here, but I can compare to the 1000’s of other tourist activities I’ve done worldwide. Kids and adults will love it … Ron Perry is an excellent facilitator, knows the local seafood and having lunch in a train caboose is simply awesome. A full post will come on this activity!
Now the next section is about the Super Donair at Jack’s Pizza. I’ll devote a couple words to this as it defies logic and breaks the space/time continuum. The donair is to the Maritimes what the banh mi is to Saigon, the jambon-beurre to Paris. It is a quintessential Maritime gastronomic experience. To the uninitiated, the donair is intimidating.
First, there is donair meat, heavily spiced ground beef that’s shaped into a large loaf and roasted on a spit, then shaved and seared on a flat top range. The meat is placed on a thin, Lebanese-style pita and topped with tomatoes and raw onions. The donair sauce is an addictively sweet blend of evaporated milk, vinegar, garlic powder and sugar. The sandwich is wrapped in tinfoil and eaten out of hand. Kind of. As the pita has a tendency to sop up the juices and sauces, making the bread fall apart, donairs are best eaten over a cardboard plate and as far away from your body as possible.
Jack’s Pizza Super Donair takes this to a ridiculous level … this can easily feed 2-3 people and I couldn’t finish the entire thing … I felt that if I did, I would fall asleep and never wake up.
Address: 384 University Ave, Charlottetown, PE C1A 4N3
- Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacks-Pizza-Charlottetown/181696395227274