People in the Virgin Islands must be overly friendly or must be some “big macco”. In Trini parlance, being a “big macco” means that you’re overly nosy. Everywhere I went, people would ask me where I was from … now this happens to my friend who lives in the BVI also. I have no problem with friendly people, but when the following conversation happens
- Me: Can you make me a smoothie? Pineapple, Mango and Strawberries with Orange Juice and Ice, thanks so much.
- Bartender at Leverick Bay: No problem <typically, she doesn’t really listen to my order>
- Me: You get that, right? Pineapple, Mango and Strawberries with Orange Juice and Ice, blended … I can’t have milk.< 2 minutes passes>
- Me <looking at blender>: Bartender, why are there three colors in there, Orange, Red and White??
- Bartender: Well cause you tell me make a smoothie, Pineapple, Mango and Strawberries with Orange Juice and Ice Cream.
- Me: I said earlier, I can’t have milk
- Bartender: Ice cream isn’t milk??
- Me: Did I stutter or are you just plain dotish?
- Other customer: Aye Trini, where in Trinidad you from?
- Me: Chaguanas, how about you?<Bartender is instructed to use a completely new shaker and blender while I watch her like a hawk>
- Other customer: Me to, I’m close by you.
- Me: Where … Enterprise or Edinburgh 500 (These are the poor areas of Chaguanas, I can’t help but be an ass sometimes)
- Other Customer: <Doesn’t flinch at the implication> Couva
- Me: Ah ok.
- Other customer: Yeah man, I could really use ah “DOUBLE”
- Me: <Spidey sense goes off, mentally cusses at the damn Guyanese pretending to be a Trini … yet again> Ah ok, thanks, bye!
It makes me be suspicious of everyone. Dammit!!